Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Oprah’s Puppy Dies

Celebrity pets are having a rough week. After Martha Stewart’s chow puppy died in a kennel fire, Oprah Winfrey’s puppy cocker spaniel Ivan has also departed to the big dog park in the sky.
One of Oprah’s new Cocker Spaniel puppies, Ivan, dies from a deadly virus, while Oprah’s other new pup — Ivan’s littermate Sadie — is being treated for an infection. Ivan was one of two puppies adopted by Winfrey. Ivan's litter-mate, Sadie, is now infected with the disease that killed him.

One of two puppies adopted by Oprah Winfrey this month has died. Winfrey adopted Sadie, an 8-week-old blond cocker spaniel from PAWS Chicago. She showed off the pup’s picture on her March 6 show. She also adopted one of Sadie’s littermates, a dog she named Ivan. Several days later, Ivan became ill with parvovirus. Parvo is a highly infectious disease that affects the gastrointestinal tract in puppies. As a result of the disease Ivan passed away late last week.
Sadie also was infected, Winfrey’s best friend, Gayle King “Sadie is sick and we’re waiting – we’re waiting to hear,” King told Us Tuesday at a Valentino in NYC. “We’re hoping that Sadie will be fine. Sadie is in the hospital, but as you might expect, she is getting the best of care.” Added King, “I have fingers closed, eyes crossed. Prayers. We’re all wishing Sadie will get better.”
Winfrey’s two cocker spaniels, Sophie and Solomon, died last year. Her golden retriever, Gracie, choked to death on a plastic ball in 2007. She still has two golden retrievers, Luke and Layla.

The New York Daily News reported that parvovirus, an infectious disease that attacks the gastrointestinal tract, is responsible for Ivan’s demise. He was a mere 8-weeks-old. According to Winfrey’s friend Gayle King, his sister Sadie is “in the hospital” and “as you might expect, she is getting the best of care.”

The Baltimore Sun described how parvovirus is transmitted through fecal matter and vomit from infected dogs, and can be brought into a household on clothes or shoes. Often, the owners are not aware their pets are infected until symptoms, which include bloody vomiting and/or diarrhea, appear.

Joshua Gowens, director of the Humane Society of Baltimore County, says that the disease is common in kennels, shelters and dog parks. He and some veterinarians have found that Tamiflu seems to be effective in some cases.